Speaking of Modern Quilting

I am not sure how many know this but, I am the leader of the Sacramento MQG. Basically that means I run the website and set up the meetings. Sometimes, I do that well and other times I am a slacker.


 Although when I signed up for that, I didn't realize that would mean that people would ask me to speak about modern quilting. I never really intended on becoming the leader for the SMQG, but they needed someone to take over when the founding member moved out of state or our local chapter was a goner. So I stepped up and I am loving it.

I am still learning about modern quilting. I am learning from our members and from all of the members of the modern quilt guild around this big world wide web. Yet, when the Delta Peicemakers in Clarksburg asked for someone to come and speak with them, I said ok.

It was a lot of fun. The ladies were so sweet and encouraging. I really enjoyed speaking in front of them. The best part was when one of the ladies told me I didn't look like I could be older than 21. That made my day, my week, my year. 

I thought I would share with you all what the  what the Delta Peicemakers asked me to cover about Modern Quilting and what I told them. Seeing as all good posts have lots of pictures, I also thought I would link up some of the quilts that my members loaned me or ones from our flickr members, just click the pictures for more info.
The Delta Peicemakers wanted to know: What is it, how is it different, what is the modern quilt guild and they hoped to see some examples. As you go along take a look at some of the SMQG members quilt pictures from flickr.
Without any further delay, here are my answers to those very big questions asked about modern quilting. I wish I could have given them or you an exact definition of all of those. However, I can't. Instead I can tell you what I think and the impressions I have.

The Modern Quilt Guild

See, the thing is, I have been trying very hard to figure out a definition for modern quilting. I have figured out that Modern Quilting has been talked about in articles since the early 1800s. And that each generation has probably had their own definition of modern quilting. The current definition however is quite elusive.

I think the problem is that to each person modern quilting is just a little bit different.


For some it is improvisation or wonky.
"Walking in a Wonky Wonderland"
made by Rebecca

For others it is perfect.
The Commish
made by Debbie


For some it is making up their own pattern.
MT Swap Finished!made by Melody

For others it following a “modern pattern”.
My Skinny Verna made by Jenniffier (me)

For some it is incorporating technology into quilting.
FramedLavenderDahlia
made by Sandra

More than anything I think modern quilting is putting a new spin on the traditional, be it changing the shape or size, using designer modern fabrics or up-cycling old materials or using lots of solids.  It is just making it your own.
 SMQG March Meeting 10 SMQG March Meeting 13
made by Katie Jean 

Modern quilting is a way of expressing creativity through quilting in a new and funky way. It is not about saying this is modern quilting or this is not a modern quilt. It is excepting whatever someone thinks is modern as modern.
SMQG March Meeting  6made by Nancy

Although I can’t define a modern quilt for you all, I can tell you why the modern quilt guild started. The modern quilt guild started in LA in 2009. It came from the desire to meet in person with the growing online community of modern quilters. To actually meet those people who write blogs and share their quilting and creativity online.( Check out The Modern Quilt Guild's page for info on that. )

Zig Zag Pattern

made by Federliy (sorry don't know your name yet)

From there it has grown and grown quickly. There is a modern quilt guild in almost every state and there are even international modern quilt guilds. Our local chapter started in February 2010 and I have been the leader since April 2010. It has been an interesting year. We are growing slowly but surely.
Christmas Mug Padmade by Melody
The biggest difference I see between the modern quilt guild and other quilt guilds is our online component. Most of us blog, talking about quilting in forums, read other blogs, share through flickr and join online quilting communities. Our inspirations often come from others online. We follow tutorials, participate in online quilt alongs, create our own designs that are inspired by pictures of others quilts online, and we join online quilting bees.
Hexagons are done!made by Rebbecca
Also a lot of our members are new to quilting, not all of us, as one of our members has been quilting for 40 years. Plus a lot of the members have learned how to quilt online, from following tutorials to watching YouTube.  However, some modern quilters, like myself, have had quilting passed down as tradition.

SMQG Febmade by Jenniffier (me)

Modern quilting is the 21st century version of an age old tradition. It is a way for us to express ourselves and not feel judge. It is a way to share the love for creating and to get inspiration from others around the world.
WIP One square almost done
made by Cytel

I just want to take a moment to thank my guild members for loaning me their beautiful quilts for me to share with the Delta Peicemakers. I heard so many compliments and they were very impressed.

This is posted at:
http://jenniffier.blogspot.com/
and
http://www.sacramentomodernquiltguild.com/apps/blog/

Comments

  1. What a fantastic post! : )

    I can see how that must have been a little intimidating, being asked to define something that, like you said, is always changing and means something different to everyone. Sounds like you did an excellent job of explaining that and representing a wide variety of modern quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to post about this. You don't know how helpful it is! We here in Des Moines are trying to organize a chapter of the Modern Quilt Guild. Our first get-acquainted meeting is May 19. With a extremely strong, traditional guild already established in our city, it will be important to recognize the differences in our organizations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Linda--she and I are leading the new Des Moines chapter together, and I'm certain we will get questions about this topic. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the the time comment. Please know that I read each comment and they all make me smile.

Thanks for visiting, Jenn